Los Angeles, CA
Date Opened: June 5, 2019
Position Details: Full-time salaried position with benefits, based in Los Angeles
Reports To: California Program Director
The Shared-Use Mobility Center (SUMC) is a non-profit public interest organization that works to foster collaboration in shared mobility (including bikesharing, carsharing, ridesharing and more) and help connect the growing industry with transit agencies, cities and communities across the nation. Through pilot programs, research, convening and technical assistance, SUMC hopes to extend the benefits of shared mobility for all.
SUMC is expanding its West Coast office to serve a growing set of projects at the intersection of shared, electric, and equitable mobility. Recently, SUMC announced its new role as co-Administrator of the California Clean Mobility Options program, directing $14M in State funding along with tools and technical assistance to electric, shared mobility pilots in disadvantaged communities across the State.
The Program Manager will work closely with the Program Director and SUMC’s California and Chicago teams to help lead the organization’s growing programs on the West Coast. The position represents a rare leadership opportunity to work across the public and private sectors to shape the future of mobility around climate and social equity goals. As a start-up organization, SUMC has a small staff responsible for a wide range of duties in a creative and flexible, but also fast-paced, atmosphere. Depending on needs at the time, the Program Manager may be responsible for developing partnerships, managing client relationships, conducting research and analysis, delivering technical assistance, conducting meetings and events, doing outreach and stakeholder engagement, and handling administrative tasks.
This is a full-time salaried position, and considerable travel is required (approximately 25%, primarily within California).
Program Manager Duties:
- Create tools and deliver technical assistance to Clean Mobility Options grantees to successfully implement equity-focused carsharing, ridesharing, and micromobility projects in low-income communities and communities of color.
- Develop and maintain partnerships between mobility operators, public agencies, EV charging networks, utilities, and community-based organizations in support of the Clean Mobility Options program.
- Conduct research and perform evaluation of mobility projects from around the country under Clean Mobility Options and SUMC’s national Shared+Electric Mobility Initiative
- Serve the City of Los Angeles Department of Transportation to implement the City’s transportation technology strategy and new mobility programs
- Support local and regional agencies in developing mobility policy, including the creation of Shared Mobility Action Plans for local and regional agencies on the West Coast and Hawaii
- Perform project management tasks such as work planning, tracking, invoicing, reporting, and client interaction
- Coordinate with the SUMC office in Chicago to track and document shared mobility programs and policy trends
- Build relationships with potential partners, and maintain account and contact information in SUMC databases
- Contribute to SUMC communications efforts such as authoring blog posts and news items
- Represent SUMC at statewide meetings and conferences
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as city planning, public policy, or business administration AND at least five years’ experience in related positions such as transportation and land use planning or mobility industry operations, product, or public affairs
Master’s degree in a related field such as city planning, public policy, or business administration AND at least three years’ experience in related positions such as transportation and land use planning or mobility industry operations, product, or public affairs
- Experience working in or with local or regional transportation agencies
- Background engaging stakeholders and community members in local planning and policy decisions, including in historically marginalized communities
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively with team members, including colleagues in a remote location
- Strong attention to detail and time management skills
- Self-starter with ability to identify needs and next steps with minimal guidance
- Advanced degree in a related field such as city planning, public policy, or business administration
- Experience with technical analysis and evaluation specific to transportation projects
- Experience delivering shared mobility services such as carsharing, bikesharing, ridehailing, or on-demand transit
- Demonstrated success in non-profit fundraising or business development
- Spanish-language competency
Compensation and Benefits:
SUMC offers a salary and benefits package competitive with similar organizations in California.
The Shared-Use Mobility Center is an independent nonprofit organization. SUMC is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leave of absence, compensation, and training.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume/CV, and writing sample to email@example.com
No phone calls please.