We are currently looking for an Operations Administrator for our Chicago office. Please see position details and application instructions below.
Position Title: Operations Administrator
Date Opened: June 1, 2021
Date Closing: July 9, 2021 (applications reviewed on a rolling basis)
Position Details: Full-time salaried position with benefits
Based in Chicago office, starting remotely in July with return to office in the Fall
The Shared-Use Mobility Center (SUMC) is a non-profit public interest organization promoting transportation systems that work for all. Through pilot projects, research, capacity-building, and advocacy, SUMC helps communities realize a vision of an equitable and sustainable mobility future.
The Operations Administrator is responsible for building and maintaining the internal organization and infrastructure necessary for the Shared-Use Mobility Center’s (SUMC) continued success and growth. The Operations Administrator will be responsible for the day-to-day management of facilities, human resources, bookkeeping, and information technology, while working with leadership and staff in developing operational strategy and designing and implementing operational systems.
This is a role for a detail-oriented, organized, and system-oriented individual with an interest in growing a career in non-profit administration and in advancing social equity and environmental sustainability through transportation innovation. While the core functions of the position such as bookkeeping and HR administration are fixed, the scope of the position has room for flexibility depending on a candidate’s interests, strengths, and level of experience. Candidates with nontraditional backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
The Operations Administrator routinely has responsibility for the administration of SUMC’s operations activities as assigned by the Operations Director. The Operations Administrator is expected to be proficient at various planning, accounting and business activities, and will collaborate with senior management to identify best practices, devise new solutions, and improve internal systems with an eye toward future needs.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Human Resources Administration
- Administer human resource functions and policies that ensure SUMC is a great place to work and grow professionally
- Maintain payroll and leave balances and process leave requests
- Ensure benefits programs are administered in a clear and timely manner
- Collaborate with managers to carry out hiring and onboarding processes to ensure successful searches, offers, and onboarding.
- Financial Administration
- Manage accounts receivable processes, including developing invoices, tracking payments, and keeping records
- Manage accounts payable processes, including record-keeping, obtaining payment approvals from managers, and processing payments
- Maintain timekeeping systems and work with staff to ensure prompt and accurate timekeeping
- Work with CFO to administer accounting processes such as payroll allocation, monthly closings and expense reporting in Quickbooks
- Administrative Platforms and Record-keeping
- Maintain current state and federal licenses, registrations, incorporation, and payment of associated fees
- Manage access to organizational online accounts and process mail
- Keep paper and digital records of important documentation such as contracts, tax documents, and HR files
- Office Management
- Keep offices equipped and in working order, and work with staff to provide access and understand office needs
- Collaborate with staff to hold office events such as open houses and happy hours
- Engage with program content and staff as a member of the SUMC team to maintain knowledge of shared mobility and its role in advancing equity and sustainability
- Associate’s Degree in a relevant program (e.g. accounting, business)
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Professional certifications or licenses in HR, bookkeeping or other administrative practices preferred.
- At least three years experience in an operations role with specific experience in areas such as bookkeeping, HR administration, and other administrative activities
- Experience working in a non-profit organization preferred
- Ability to manage and organize many types of information, including financial information, across a number of platforms with accuracy and consistency
- Competent use of common office software, e.g. Microsoft Office, Google Suite
- Ability to administer online software accounts such as timekeeping, file-sharing, and collaboration platforms
- Experience recording financial transactions and generating reports in Quickbooks or similar accounting software
- Experience with ADP or similar payroll platforms definitely a plus
- Time management skills that enable completion of multiple tasks consistent with deadlines
- Ability to communicate professionally with staff and external stakeholders in written and verbal formats
- Collaborative style characterized by a thoughtful, diligent approach to the work
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
The Operations Administrator is based in our Chicago, IL office, starting remotely in July with return to in-person work in Fall 2021. The work will be carried out in an office setting with most work performed seated at a desk using a keyboard and LED screen in a shared workspace environment for the duration of a work-week as established by the organization. Occasionally work or travel may be required on weekends.
Occasional travel by airplane, automobile, public transportation, and shared-mobility modes is required to perform essential functions of the position.
SUMC offers a salary and benefits package competitive with similar non-profit organizations in Illinois. Benefits include contributions to medical, dental, vision, and life insurance and access to a 401(k) retirement plan.
How to Apply:
Applications received through July 9, 2021 will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com indicating the position you’re applying for in the subject line. No phone calls please. We are very interested to learn about the diverse backgrounds that candidates bring, so please let us know what unique personal background or perspective you would offer to the team in your cover letter.
Equity and Anti-Discrimination Policy:
The Shared-Use Mobility Center is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to equity and inclusion in transportation, and we strive to reflect those values in the composition of our staff.
The Shared-Use Mobility Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant. Employment opportunities at SUMC are based upon one’s qualifications and capabilities to perform the essential functions of a particular job. All employment candidates are considered without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, disability, age, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, genetics, marital status, veteran status, or, any other characteristic protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leave of absence, compensation, and training.